Be topical


Pete arrived home to find his wife watching the television.
‘Any news yet?’ he asked.
‘Yes,’ she said. ‘The negotiations have finished and there’s a coalition government.’
‘So, the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats finally did a deal, did they?’ He sat down on the sofa beside her. ‘That’s predictable news.’
‘Yes,’ she said. ‘I’m just pleased it’s all over and there’s no risk of Gordon Brown being Prime Minister.’
’Yes,’ he said, switching off the TV. ‘I’m glad that someone’s in charge, even if it is David Cameron and, to a lesser extent, Nick Clegg. What this country needs right now is consensus leadership. Now, what about the World Cup draw? Who do you think are the favourites to win?’
‘Probably Brazil.’
‘Did you say Brazil?’
‘No, just Brazil.’

1 comment:

  1. I like that this is obviously a form dialogue. One of my literature professors once told me that romance novels are written in a similar manner. A colleague of hers is a romance writer, and this writer has several forms for plot and character development which she can use to just fill in the details. Fortunately, you are not writing romance. Please, don't ever stoop to write that badly because I don't know if it can be done well.
    This is my first time commenting, but I've been reading for a while. Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete